Welcome to Plano Library Speaks, the podcast of Plano Public Library!
In this episode, your hosts, Rachel and Bob chat with library staff about a variety of topics, from Babes in Arms storytime, business mentoring and more. See our show notes below for details and links.
We speak with Development Coordinator Kristin Linscott and SCORE Mentor Don Walter about business mentoring:
- Connect with a Dallas SCORE Mentor to receive free small business advice. Highly successful and experienced professionals and entrepreneurs serve as SCORE mentors, delivering valuable, timely and practical advice on every aspect for start-ups or existing businesses.
- Make an appointment by calling SCORE at 214-987-9491 or email Don Walter
- Appointments are available on Thursdays at Schimelpfenig Library at 5, 6 and 7pm
Other upcoming SCORE workshops:
Team Up for Entrepreneurial Success meets monthly on Tuesdays at 6:30pm at Haggard Library
Monthly meetings offer opportunities for networking, problem-solving, access to resources and coaching with SCORE Mentors, subject matter experts and Plano Library staff. Group discussion follows a brief business-focused presentation. Bring your challenges to the group for input, resources and solutions
- January 25: Start-Up Roadmap
- February 22: Website Creation & Online Presence
- March 22: Social Media
- April 26: Funding Options
Business Plan 101 on Thursday, February 17 at 6pm – Register here
Learn the importance of having a plan and some of the essential elements needed to put you on the right path
Essential Steps for Starting a Business on Wednesday, March 16 at 6:30pm at Haggard Library
An introductory workshop designed for the entrepreneur and small business owner to learn what’s really needed of them to start and run a successful business
Roadmap to Business Startup Success on Saturday, April 23 at 10:30am at Haggard Library
Review the steps that need to be followed to successfully launch a business – from the genesis of the idea through the legal aspects, competition research, financing, marketing and launch
We speak with Librarian Tenille Miller about Babes in Arms storytime.
Babes in Arms is a lapsit storytime to introduce the sounds and rhythms of language, develop motor skills and give babies a head start on learning. Babes in Arms is for babies ages 0-9 months with parents/caregivers. Storytime is followed by a brief playtime with toys, bubbles and socialization for caregivers and babies, and runs typically 20-25 minutes.
The weekly spring 2022 Babes in Arms schedule:
- Mondays, 9:30am at Harrington Library
- Tuesdays, 9:30am at Parr Library
- Tuesdays, 11am at Haggard Library
- Wednesdays, 9:30am at Haggard Library
- Thursdays, 11am at Schimelpfenig Library
We speak with Librarian Heather Torres about STEAM Kits.
Search “STEAM Kits” in the library catalog to see what’s available and place holds.
A great way to explore some of our STEAM Kit activities is during STEAM Stop programs. Our spring 2022 schedule has three STEAM Stop events:
- Sunday, January 9 at 2pm at Schimelpfenig Library
- Sunday, February 6 at 2pm at Parr Library
- Sunday, March 6 at 2pm at Haggard Library
We speak with Librarian Peter Jackson about what he does at Plano Public Library, including 3D printing.
3D printing is available at the Davis, Harrington, and Parr Libraries. Objects are printed in ABS thermoplastic 1.75mm filament in a single staff-selected color with a PolyPrinter 229. The size limit is 8.75 by 8.75 by 8.75 inches and the cost is $0.20 per gram (cash, check or credit card). Please take a look at our 3D Printing page for more information.
For anyone interested in learning 3D printing and design, check out our upcoming spring classes:
Intro to 3D Printing (grades 3+): Explore the world of 3D printing, see our 3D printer and learn how to submit your designs for printing
Saturdays at 1pm at Parr Library: January 22 and March 12
3D Printing Class (grades 3+): Learn the basics of 3D printing and get an introduction to design. Students under 13 must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the class. Bring a USB drive to save your projects
Saturdays at 1pm at Parr Library: February 12 and April 30