Career exploration is the initial step in searching for the job you want. A self-assessment of your personality, interests and aptitudes can provide you a list of occupations that match your traits. Check out these resources to navigate career options.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) provides information on work environment, salary, education, job outlook and other qualifications covering hundreds of occupations.
- Occupational Information Network The Occupational Information Network is a free online database for career exploration and job analysis. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, O*Net has hundreds of job descriptions available for job seekers, developers, students and others.
- Careeronestop Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Careeronestop provides self-assessments, career information, and assistance with career planning.
- Learning Express Library Accessible through the Plano Public Library website, the Learning Express Library database has tools to assist job searchers as they investigate career options. View the Career Center Plus and the Job and Career Accelerator to explore occupations, learn more about a career, and find a career match.
- LinkedIn Learning To assist in choosing a career, LinkedIn Learning offers courses that help job searchers explore and assess career options. LinkedIn Learning is a database that can be accessed at the Plano Public Library website with a library card.
- Vocational and Career Collection – TexShare Research career choices with full-text coverage in trade and industry-related periodicals for high schools, community colleges, trade institutions and the general public.
- Kanopy Explore career videos such as the Career Compass and Tell Me How Career Series available on Kanopy. Kanopy is a video streaming service accessible through the Plano Public Library website with a library card.
Not sure where to start? Book-a-librarian!
- What Color is Your Parachute?: Your Guide to a Lifetime of Meaningful Work and Career Success by Richard Nelson Bolles (Print; eBook)
- Reinvention Roadmap: Break the Rules to Get the Joy You Want and Career You Deserve by Liz Ryan (Print)
- Finding Work You Love: 3 Steps to Getting the Perfect Job After College by Kirk Snyder (Print)
- Career Remix by Damon Brown (Print)
- Next Move, Best Move: Transitioning into a Career You’ll Love by Kimberly Cummings (Print)