Plano Library Speaks: Podcast Episode #8
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Welcome to Plano Library Speaks, the podcast of Plano Public Library!
In this episode, your hosts, Rachel and Bob chat with library staff and local experts about a variety of topics, including the importance of lifelong learning for the health of our brains, Summer Learning at the library and using the Plano Public Library app.
In this segment, we talk with special guest Katie Hinds from the University of Texas at Dallas Center for Brain Health. She talks about the importance of lifelong learning for the health of our brains. Challenging the muscles in your body, including the brain, strengthens the body. Information about The BrainHealth Project is on their website.
With the library, there are many ways to learn something new, explore challenging topics and engage your brain. Here are a few suggestions, all available for free with your library card:
- Begin learning a language or advance your current language skills by using Pronunciator
- Read a book on a topic you are unfamiliar with – the library has thousands of books to choose from in print, eBook and Audiobook
- Check out an art STEAM Kit to boost your creative skills
- Attend a technology program in the Digital Creation Space
- Network with other entrepreneurs in the monthly TUES program with SCORE
- Complete a Summer Learning passport
Nina Martin (Manager) and Meredith Del Monte (Librarian) give us a run-through of what’s happening this summer at the library.
Summer Learning is for Everyone! Explore Plano Public Library… and Discover Your World!
Kick-off your Summer Learning goals with Plano Public Library on June 4:
- Harrington Library: 10am-12pm
- Parr Library: 10am-12pm
- Davis Library: 12-2pm
- Schimelpfenig Library: 2-4pm
- Haggard Library: 2-4pm
Download a reading log from our website.
All libraries have programs in-person this summer (plus many continuing virtually), so grab a brochure or check out our calendar online for details.
Community Outreach Librarian Ben Baron talks about the Plano Public Library mobile app and some of the great features you have access to.
First, you will need to download the library app if you haven’t already:
- Head to the app store on your phone or mobile device
- Search “Plano Public Library”
- Download the “Plano Public Library” app to your mobile device
Explore the how-to videos on the Plano Public Library YouTube channel to learn about the various features such as checking out using your phone, managing family cards and porch pickup.