Welcome to Plano Library Speaks, the podcast of Plano Public Library!
In this episode, your hosts, Rachel and Bob chat with library staff about a variety of topics, including the Youth Entrepreneurship Academy, our Family Place Library designation and LinkedIn classes from the library.
In the Learning & Leading segment, we talk with SCORE Mentor Julie Newport and Development Coordinator Kristin Linscott about the teen program Youth Entrepreneurship Academy (YEA):
Learn what it takes to be an entrepreneur and sell your idea in a pitch contest format. Attendees will be assigned to groups, create a business idea, write a business plan and pitch to a panel of business professionals. Prizes provided by Credit Union of Texas. Program intended for grades 9-12
Please only register if you can attend all three sessions: June 14, 15 and 16 from 1-4pm. Register in-person at any Plano Library, beginning May 31.
Other SCORE programs this summer:
- SCORE Business Mentoring – Every Thursday from 5-8pm at Schimelpfenig Library by appointment: 214-987-9491 or email Don Walter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team Up for Entrepreneurial Success – Fourth Tuesday each month at 6:30pm at Haggard Library. Team up with like-minded business people, start-ups and aspiring entrepreneurs. Monthly meetings offer opportunities for networking, problem-solving, access to resources and coaching with SCORE Mentors, subject matter experts and Plano Library staff. June: Intro to Google Trends | July: Define Your Target Market | August: Create Your Elevator Speech
- Essential Steps for Starting a Business – Thursday, June 23 at 6:30pm at Haggard Library and virtual. An introductory workshop designed for the entrepreneur and small business owner to learn what’s really needed of them to start and run a successful business. Register here.
- Roadmap to Business Startup Success – Thursday, July 28 at 6:30pm at Haggard Library and virtual. Don Walter, SCORE Mentor, reviews the steps that need to be followed to successfully launch a business – from the genesis of the idea through the legal aspects, competition research, financing, marketing and launch. Register here.
- Business Plan 101 – Saturday, August 27 at 10:30am at Haggard Library. This workshop is designed to help you get started on writing a Business Plan. Learn the importance of having a plan and some of the essential elements needed to put you on the right path.
In the Kids & Family segment, we chat with Librarian Supervisor Julie Conner about the Family Place Libraries here at the library. Harrington and Schimelpfenig libraries are Family Place Libraries, which transforms libraries into community centers for early literacy & learning, parent education and engagement, family support and community connectivity helping to ensure all children enter school ready and able to learn.
At Playgroup, registrants spend time together, play, make friends and talk one-on-one with community resource professionals. The next Playgroup (for ages 0-3 with caregivers) meets Wednesdays, September 21-October 19 from 9:30-10:45am at Schimelpfenig Library. Registration is in-person and opens September 6. Check out the video below to hear more about Playgroup from our trained staff and participants.
Another part of being a Family Place Library is having a parenting collection. Hear from Librarian Cathe Spencer and daughter Anne about how they have used this collection with their family.
In the Did You Know? segment, Librarian Jaime Eastman talks about the upcoming LinkedIn: Content Creation class as well as other features of LinkedIn that we have taught previously. LinkedIn: Content Creation meets virtually on Thursday, July 14 at 3pm via Zoom. Learn the basics of creating your own content, from short-form posts to longer articles, managing followers and comments, and viewing analytics. Register here.
Previous LinkedIn classes are recorded on the library’s YouTube channel:
- LinkedIn Basics – Learn the basics of building a profile, adding connections, and searching for jobs
- LinkedIn Resume Builder – Learn how to use your LinkedIn profile to create and save custom resumes targeted to your job search
- LinkedIn: Job Search – Explore tips and tricks to maximizing your job search on LinkedIn. Learn how to create and filter searches, find and follow companies, apply for positions and more using your profile
- LinkedIn Learning – From writing a stellar resume to learning a new skill, explore the learning resources available through LinkedIn Learning. Learn how to navigate content, explore learning paths, and share your skills