Reel Reading: Mystery
Do you enjoy a good binge-fest over books, tv series, or films? Join us to talk about all things binge-worthy in our new Reel Reading club for Teens.
Reel Reading is a teen-specific book, film and TV club meeting virtually on the fourth Monday of each month at 7 p.m. via Zoom. This club is for ages 13-18 and each month will have a genre or theme to explore. Register for our next session here.
Teen Street Team member Aliyah is our guest blogger for this month and tells us about their favorite mystery reads.
Hello, detectives! Our Mystery Reel Reading meeting is coming up soon on April 25th, from 7-8 pm!
Personally, mystery is one of my favorite genres because of the way it draws you into the plot and allows you to try to figure out the answer before the characters do. I grew up with my nose buried in a Cam Jensen or Nancy Drew novel, and as I’ve gotten older, my love for this genre hasn’t faded. Now, novels like A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie fill up my bookshelves! I also love watching mystery TV shows — my favorite is Criminal Minds! Movies like Knives Out captivate me with their interesting plots and well-developed characters.
One novel I would like to talk briefly about is One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus. This book is enjoyed by many of my friends and teachers. In fact, I haven’t met anyone who did not enjoy this book! One of Us is Lying will pull you into its interesting high school setting and allow you to relate to the adolescent characters as you follow them through a shocking crime that occurs in their own school. This novel throws crazy twists and turns, and you won’t be able to put it down once you get your hands on it. You can get the book from the Plano Public Library closest to you, or you can use Libby to get a virtual copy. I promise this novel won’t disappoint!
We would love to see you at our Mystery Reel Reading Meeting, and look forward to hearing your take on some of the best mystery books/movies/TV shows out there!
- One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus – Print | Audiobook | eBook | eAudiobook
- A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- All These Bodies by Kendare Blake – Print | eAudiobook
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- The Red Palace by June Hur – Print | eAudiobook
- Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
- Sadie by Courtney Summers – Print | eBook | eAudiobook
Reel Reading meets on Monday, April 25th at 7 p.m. to discuss Mystery books, TV and films for teens. Register for our next session here.