Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 32,100 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of July 13 – 19, we’re all about creating and reading:
Find an artist that inspires you, and let your creativity run free. Post a picture and share your art at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Read Something True
Find a topic you like – dinosaurs, sharks, space, etc. – and read a nonfiction book about it. Tell us what your favorite topic is at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: Beaks at the Bird Buffet
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Beaks at the Bird Buffet!
Join the birds at the buffet to learn about beak adaptations! Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, July 16 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Virtual Field Trip: Vatican Museum – Are you ready for a virtual field trip? Travel to Vatican City to see centuries worth of art, architecture and history. This adventure departs Monday, July 13 at 3 p.m. on Facebook.
- Resume and Design – Discover tools and resources to help you create an effective and eye-catching resume. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Tuesday, July 14 at 1 p.m.
- Intro to Writing a Business Plan – Presented in partnership with SCORE, this workshop is designed to help you get started on writing a business plan. Learn the importance of having a plan and some of the essential elements needed to put you on the right path. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Thursday, July 16 at 4 p.m.
- Friday Fun with the Plano Symphony Orchestra – Calling all princes and princesses! The Plano Symphony Orchestra presents music from princesses across the world. The music of Frozen, Moana, The Lion King, Sleeping Beauty and more! Families will learn about instruments of the orchestra and explore film and classical music in this engaging program. Kids are encouraged to join in costume and participate in this musical story time! Get more information on our Facebook page; the performance goes live on Friday, July 17 at 3 p.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!