Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 42,800 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of July 20 – 26, we’re all about learning and sharing:
Share a Story
Call or video chat with someone who would love to hear you tell or read them a story. Let us know what stories you told or read at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: How Lungs Work
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: How lungs work!
Learn how your lungs work in your respiratory system as you inhale and exhale. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, July 23 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Podcasting with Audacity – Learn to produce your own podcast using Audacity (freely available for PC, Max, or Linux). We’ll cover basic microphone information, recording and editing your podcast, and how to post it for others to enjoy. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Monday, July 20 at 4 p.m.
- Connecting Seniors: “The Shadow Knows”…Reliving Your Favorite Radio Show – Join us on a trip down memory lane as we listen to an episode of The Shadow, complete with commercials from the time. Then share stories of your favorite shows and stars, and hear what the library has available to you. Registration is required to join this discussion, meeting Friday, July 24 at 1 p.m.
- Friday Fun with Mother Goose – Margaret Clauder, a.k.a. Mother Goose, will be a fun show for all ages, but especially the preschool crowd. Margaret Clauder is a masterful storyteller, puppeteer and ventriloquist. She’ll be visiting as Mother Goose, and children will delight as her puppets Goosy, Lamby, Mary and more get into trobule as rhymes are confused. This program airs on Facebook Friday, July 24 at 3 p.m.
- Wonder Café: Explore the Night – Les Murray is a NASA Solar System Ambassador. SSAs are motivated volunteers trained by NASA scientists, project managers and astronauts on NASA’s programs and missions. Les will be giving a presentation on what is up in the sky this month and how to observe it. He will also be answering your questions about space, the sky, and NASA missions. Submit your questions here, on the call, or see other questions outside the program. Registration is required for this talk, airing Saturday, July 25 at 11 a.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!