Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 9,3000 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of June 15 – 21, we’re all about exploring and sharing:
Explore the Sky
Watch the clouds during the day or view the stars at night! Can you find shapes or constellations? Record or draw what you see. Share your exploration with us at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Share a Solution
Invent something helpful using everyday objects. Then share what problem your invention solves with us at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: Water Filtration
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Water filtration!
Engineer your own water filtration system to create clean water. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, June 18 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Cook the Book: Casual Summer Dining – Choose your favorite casual summer dining recipe, prepare the dish and be prepared to discuss virtually with other cooking enthusiasts. Registration is required for this book club, meeting on Zoom Tuesday, June 16 at 1 p.m. Need inspiration? Check out our blog post here!
- Resources for Small Businesses – Learn about resources and services available through SCORE, resource partner of the U.S. Small Business Administration, as well as Plano Public Library. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Tuesday, June 16 at 6:30 p.m. Can’t make it? See the recording and resources from the last session here on the blog.
- Genealogy: Papers from the Attic – Learn how to preserve old documents and photos. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Friday, June 19 at 1 p.m.
- Friday Fun with Dano – Dano entertains family audiences with original songs that blend folk, jazz, rock and roll, and electric music. His lyrics are fun, silly, and quirky. This program airs on Facebook Friday, June 19 at 3 p.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!