Virtual Summer Learning Is Here!
Summer Learning 2020 is going virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what you can expect throughout the summer:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. We’ll be tracking our progress on our website, so check back often to see how we’re doing. You can download our reading log or make one of your own. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker to the next level.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of June 1 – 7, we’re all about creating and exploring:
Create a Plate
Cook a favorite dish or check out our eBooks and eMagazines to find a new recipe and Cook the Book! Or search the library catalog for cookbooks. Share a photo or video of your dish with us at #PPLSummerLearning and let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Explore Your Backyard
Go on a science scavenger hunt in your own backyard, neighborhood or park. How many different types of plants do you see? Share your exploration with us at #PPLSummerLearning and let us know when you’ve completed the challenge.
Take It & Make It Activities
3…2…1… Blast off! Become a (balloon) rocket scientist to explore backyard physics. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home. This program runs weekly through July:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, June 4 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Connecting Seniors: Gardening – Summer is already upon us, and soaring temperatures mean that our gardens need a little extra care. Join us for our favorite and most effective gardening tips to keep your garden in tip-top shape. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Thursday, June 4 at 1 p.m.
- Introduction to Genealogy – Learn the basics of common genealogical research tools and techniques. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Friday, June 5 at 1 p.m.
- Friday Fun with James Wand: Help James Wand solve clues and secret codes, and prepare to be amazed by the most incredible magic you will ever see! This program airs on Facebook Friday, June 5 at 3 p.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!