Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 52,000 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
All summer, we’ve had challenges to read, create, explore, learn, and share together. Missed a challenge? You can still get your personalized badges for each of our challenges through our virtual summer learning page, or repeat your favorites.
How many badges did you earn? Show off your certificates and share your favorites at #PPLSummerLearning.
Take It & Make It Kit: Do Owls Poop?
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Do Owls Poop?
How do owls process their food? Learn about an owl’s diet and digestion with hands-on exploration. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, July 30 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Virtual Field Trip: Machu Picchu – Are you ready for a virtual field trip? Join us to explore the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu. This adventure departs Monday, July 27 at 3 p.m. on Facebook.
- Job Search: Email Etiquette – Learn the basics of email correspondence during a job search. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Wednesday, July 29 at 1 p.m.
- Budgeting for College – Learn about the costs you will have to consider when you head off to college and how to create a simple budget using Google Sheets to help you keep track of it all. Create a free Google account or sign into your account to follow along with the class. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Thursday, July 30 at 4 p.m.
- Friday Fun with SciTech – Learn the basics of combustion as our trained staff wows you with our fire show. See how they set afire solids, liquids and gases. Discover what happens when you change the variables in our fire triangle. It’s explosive! Registration is required for this program, airing Friday, July 31 at 3 p.m. on Zoom.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!