Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 20,000 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of July 6 – 12, we’re all about creating and exploring:
Create a Book
Create your own book out of construction paper or any paper you have at home. Give it a title, write a few pages, and illustrate it! Don’t forget to give yourself credit f or being the author and illustrator! Share a photo of your book with us at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Explore Your History
Ask your parents or grandparents to share a story with you, watch one of our virtual Genealogy programs or explore our databases (try Credo or American History Online – Infobase) tot learn more about American history. Share your history with us at #PPLSummerLearning, and be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: Crystals
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Crystals!
Create your own crystals at home! Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, July 9 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Virtual Field Trip: Grand Canyon – Are you ready for a virtual field trip? Hop on board as we visit the Grand Canyon in Arizona. This adventure departs Monday, July 6 at 3 p.m. on Facebook.
- Adobe Photoshop: Product Photography – Are you interested in starting an online business selling products or services? Quality photos are a must. Learn how to stage and edit product photos in Photoshop. Sign up for a free 7-day trial of Adobe Creative Cloud to follow along with the class. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Wednesday, July 8 at 1 p.m.
- Game of Life – Buying a home, paying for college, your first paycheck, and much more! Join us in plaing the Game of Life, and see how far your paycheck can take you. Learn how your future career can impact your financial life and decision making. Presented by college students from the University of North TExas Student Money Management Center. Registration is required to join the game, which starts Thursday, July 9 at 3 p.m.
- Friday Fun with the Dallas Zoo – Things will get wild when the Dallas Zoo presents this interactive program featuring a variety of birds, mammals, and reptiles. Registration is required to join this program, airing Friday, July 10 at 3 p.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!