Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. Our total so far is over 13,000 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of June 22 – 28, we’re all about exploring and sharing:
Learn to Experiment with STEAM
Follow along with one of our STEAM programs on Facebook or YouTube or find an experiment in our databases (Science Online – Infobase has interactive experiments). Tell us how your experiment turned out at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: Pulleys
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Pulleys!
Combine science, engineering and technology as you build a pulley and then test your simple machine. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, June 25 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Virtual Field Trip: Versailles – Are you ready for a virtual field trip? Join us as we visit the Palace of Versailles in France! This adventure departs Monday, June 22 at 3 p.m. on Facebook.
- Building Wealth – Learn basic wealth-building concepts to help you create a plan to meet your financial goals based on a curriculum created by the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Tuesday, June 23 at 1 p.m.
- Connecting Seniors: Armchair Travel – Share your experiences by talking about places you have visited and would like to visit. Learn about library resources that can help you with your future travel plans. Registration is required for this program, meeting Thursday, June 25 at 1 p.m.
- Friday Fun with Mad Science – Join our Mad Scientist this summer as we get a magical dragon egg dropped into our lap. See what happens when we take care of our egg and then it hatches to bring us our very own dragon. This program airs on Facebook Friday, June 26 at 3 p.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!