On June 11, 2020, Plano Public Library hosted a virtual workshop for people looking to start a new career, switch fields or return to work after time off.
In this workshop, attendees learned ways to think about careers, and explore resources to navigate your path. The recording and handout are below, with additional resources linked.
Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center
• Industries and Careers: find a profession to suit your skills, interests and goals
• Plan Your Education: explore colleges, universities and vocational & Tech schools
• Launch Your Career: explore career skills for the modern workforce; helpful info on writing your resume and preparing for job interviews
Learning Express Library 3.0
• Career Center Plus: explore a new field or find ways to advance in your current field; find study guides and practice tests to prepare for professional exams, such as civil service, law enforcement, nursing, plumbing and electrical, etc.
• Job & Career Accelerator: take a quiz and Find a Career Match
• Adult Core Skills: skill building in math, reading, writing, speaking and grammar; Prepare to become a U.S. Citizen
• Computer Skills Center
• Education video courses focus on a wide variety of topics, such as Business, Technology and Creative
• Certificates can link to your LinkedIn account
• Adult Tutoring
• Career Coach: get help finding a job, writing a cover letter or resume, or prep for a job interview
• Search online job resources
• Resume Review
• U.S. Jobs & Internships: search connects with Indeed.com, but combined with Reference USA’s powerful mapping tool and business profile information
• U.S. Businesses and U.S. New Businesses: databases to help learn more information about publicly-traded businesses, and many privately-owned businesses, around the country
Be sure to view our program calendar to see which workshops are coming up next!