Summer Learning 2020 is virtual! Join us online for programs, storytimes, weekly learning challenges and more.
Here’s what’s happening this week:
1,000,000 Minute Community Reading Challenge
Help us reach our community goal of reading 1,000,000 minutes this summer. This week, we read over 3,700 minutes! You can track our progress on our website at any time. Each time you hit a 100-minute milestone, let us know. You’ll get a personalized certificate and your minutes will help move our tracker forward.
We’ll be posting new challenges to inspire your learning each week. Once you complete the challenge, submit your name and receive an email with your personalized badge. How many can you collect? For the week of June 8 – 15, we’re all about learning and reading:
Learn a New Skill
Can you whistle, snap or play an instrument? Learn something new and show off your new skill with us at #PPLSummerLearning and let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Read Outside the Book
Read in a new way – with a flashlight, to a friend (pets or stuffed animals count!) or outside. We’d love to see your new ways to read at #PPLSummerLearning. Be sure to let us know when you’ve completed the challenge for a personalized certificate.
Take It & Make It Kit: Catapults
New week, new Take It & Make It activity kit for you to pick up from the library and have educational fun at home. This week: Catapults!
Ready, set, launch! Build your own simple machine to explore physics. Join in with our STEAM Connections family activity with a kit you can use at home. This program runs weekly through July:
- Supplies are available on a first come, first served basis at all library locations.
- You can pick up kits Monday through Thursday, while supplies last, from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. When you get to the library, call the main number and let them know you are there to pick up a Take It & Make It kit.
- Join us on Facebook on Thursday, June 11 at 3 p.m. to see the program in action and follow along!
We’ll be hosting programs all summer on Facebook, Zoom and our YouTube channel. Check out the Weekly Programming Schedule on our Summer Learning website for complete details. Topics include STEAM programs for all ages, early learning programs, performer programs, storytimes, and programs geared toward elementary-aged kids, teens, adults and seniors. Here are some highlights this week:
- Virtual Field Trip: British Museum – Are you ready for a virtual field trip? Join us as we visit the British Museum! This program will air on Facebook Wednesday, June 10 at 3 p.m.
- Navigate Your Future: Career Exploration Tools – Are you looking to start a new career, switch fields or return to work after time off? Learn ways to think about careers and explore resources to navigate your path. Registration is required for this webinar, airing Thursday, June 11 at 1 p.m.
- Friday Fun with Critterman – Explore the incredible diversity of New and Old World Rain Forests. Many things that we use everyday, from cinnamon to rubber, come from rain forests around the world. Discover how and why so many animals make their homes high in the canopy of the trees. Meet some of the amazing species we are helping to protect when we practice the three R’s (reduce, reuse, recycle). This program airs on Facebook Friday, June 12 at 3 p.m.
- Wonder Café: Popping off the Page – Have you ever wondered how an idea becomes a product? Explore how the three dimensions of space – length, width and depth – can bring shape to an idea. Learn why 3D Design is important to bring improvements to modern life. Presented by Kyle Aruda, Engineer with Siemens. Registration is required for this program, airing Saturday, June 13 at 11 a.m.
Missed a program? Don’t worry! You can check out our virtual program recaps to see past programs and instruction guides.
For more information on Virtual Summer learning, be sure to check out our website and follow us on social media for the latest updates. Share your experiences with us using #PPLSummerLearning to let us know how you’re participating!