On May 19th, 2020, we hosted a How to Start an Online Business program and the importance of determining the building blocks to creating a successful online business.
Overall concepts shared in this presentation: the importance of finding a niche market, using what you have in terms of setup, and navigating available resources, such as those at our library.
Watch our recording to learn more details. Resources mentioned in and out of the library are shared below:
Disclaimer – library staff cannot provide legal or tax advice and we do not suggest any one service over another
Additional Online Business Resources
*Note – resources with a * require a library card
Business/Brand Name Checkers – use these resources to see if your desired name is available for use on multiple online platforms (this is separate from business name registration). You can do an online search for “name checker” and find others, but some are below:
E-mail Services – set up a free one that is separate from your personal e-mail in order to collect all business related correspondence in one space. Consider a separate phone number, too. A few ones to consider:
U.S. Small Business Administration – your federal resource for all things related to Small Business in the United States
Texas Secretary of State – all Texas specific business information, forms, and specific requirements
- Research a Business Name (aside from online brand names)
Collin Small Business Development Center – a partnership between the U.S. Small Business Administration and Collin College that provides consulting, workshops, and seminars
Dallas SCORE – retired business executives volunteer their time to provide mentorship, conduct workshops, and other advice
*Small Business Reference Center – business plan templates and tutorials
*LegalForms – Gale – business legal templates
*A Small Selection of Titles in our collection – you can search our online catalog
- The Creative Curve: How to Develop the Right Idea at the Right Time by Allen Gannett
- Enlightened Entrepreneurship: How to Start Your Business without Losing Your Sanity by Christopher Myers
- How to Sell Your Art Online by Cory Huff
- How to Write a Business Plan by Mike McKeever, NOLO Press (2019 edition)
- Legal Forms for Starting & Running a Small Business by Fred Steingold, NOLO Press (2020 edition)
- Small Time Operator by Bernard Kamoroff, CPA (2019 edition)
- Job & Business Success eBooks on Overdrive
Be sure to check our online calendar for upcoming, free business and career workshops.