Your local library has the resources you need to boost your English language learning.
Increasing your English literacy skills isn’t just for kids. Plano has a constantly growing population, and many citizens speak a first language other than English. Plano Public Library understands the need to learn English and improve conversational skills in order to find jobs, read forms, talk to doctors and more. Along with a robust English as a Second Language (ESL) collection, your library offers English as a Second Language classes and a conversational series called Small Talk.
English as a Second Language
During ESL classes, students will learn to speak, read and write in English. Classes are free, and online curriculum and resources are provided in the class. ESL classes are Texas Workforce Commission funded and programs are managed by Collin County Adult Education and Literacy. For registration information, call 469-925-0610 or email email@example.com. ESL classes are for those with little to no English skills.
If you (or someone you know) want to boost your English language skills, come by our conversational class Small Talk. Each week participants discuss practical everyday topics in a casual group setting to become more confident speakers. Have fun, meet people from all over the world, and learn about American culture while practicing your spoken English. Small Talk is limited to those who can speak and read English.
Our fall Small Talk schedule runs through December 19, without meetings on 11/25-28. Children can attend with parents or caregiver to the Harrington Library Small Talk sessions. Toys and play are available for children ages 0-5.
- Harrington Library, Mondays at 11:15 am
- Parr Library, Mondays at 1 pm
- Haggard Library, Tuesday at 10 am
- Schimelpfenig Library, Tuesdays at 1 pm
- Davis Library, Wednesdays at 1 pm
- Davis Library, Thursdays at 10 am
English Language Learning Resources
Thanks to a collection enhancement grant from Texas Book Festival in 2018, we were able to update our ESL print collection! This robust collection is available at all five libraries in Plano, and features books covering vocabulary, conversation skills, TOEFL exam prep, citizenship and more. Many of the books in this collection have audio portions, too.
- ProCitizen is an online course helping prepare New Americans for the civics, reading and writing parts of the USCIS Naturalization Test. This resource includes 100 instructional videos in both English and Spanish.
- Pronunciator is a fun and easy way to learn to speak, read and write any of 80 languages. This resource includes live tutors, feature films, music with lyrics, pronunciation analysis, quizzes, and more! Also features ESL for 50 non-English languages, plus free apps for Android, Apple, and Kindle Fire devices.
- Learning Express Library has many online practice tests, including TOEFL. there is also a section specifically for Spanish-speakers to learn and practice English, prepare for the GED and practice for the Naturalization test.